I had my first taste of shopping in India today. It's sorta like being tossed around in a snowglobe, only instead of snow there's people and dirt. Everywhere. The autorickshaw is kinda fun, but the bus is definitely an experience never to be forgotten. And I have been assured that the train is even more of an experience. Hmmm.
I am very much enjoying wearing the "solwars," the tunic/pant/scarf outfit the ladies often wear. They are quite comfortable, but would be perfect if one could drop the scarf, called "dupata." (Don't quote me on the spelling!) The dupata is a real annoyance, but essential to "be modest" in the Indian mindset.
I am learning to eat with my fingers. :/ Actually not the hardest thing I have to learn here! You should hear all the appellations we have to use! The married women are "Madam" (Madam Keren), the older women are "Aunty" (Aunty Lois, Aunty Ruth), the rest of the ladies are "Miss" (Miss Sarah, Miss Kristina), and the younger children have to add "-di" to the names of the girls older than themselves (Suchona-di, Salome-di). The older men are "Uncle" (Uncle Bill), the rest of the men are "Sir" (Sir Jacob, Sir Major), and the younger children have to add "-da" to the names of the older boys (Prem-da, Ananto-da). And because I must set a good example, I must learn all these titles, too. (As well as get used to being called "Miss"!) So far, I have not tried many of the fruits. I did try "chikku," a small, brown fruit about the size and shape of an avocado seed. The texture can be grainy or sticky, but it isn't bad. I wouldn't call it my favorite fruit by any means, but I wouldn't mind trying it a few more times! :)
Well, I am praying for all of you, and hope everything is going well. God bless!
1 comment:
I'm so glad everything is going well! You are in my prayers, and I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in India! God be with you, my friend :)
Post a Comment