Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hello again!

Well, I guess it's high time this blog gets updated! The internet quit working just after the last blog, and we just recently got it up and working again. Whew! 

Wow, I've been here for six months already! In some ways it seems like I've just arrived. But in many other ways it seems like I've been here for a long time. 

I'm enjoying teaching. I've been teaching health (grades 5-9), Bible (grades 6, 8, &9), English I (reading, spelling - grade 5), and science (grade 6). Can you imagine me as a crazy science teacher?! I love helping the kids learn about God's creation. I think it's too much for me, though. I've been fighting a cold/flu type thing for awhile, plus the usual intestinal discomforts that come along with different foods. I'm planning to drop the science class and one health class. Then also, the school nurse has asked me to be her assistant, so I'm extremely busy! But being so busy does have its advantages: for one, I'm so busy I don't have time in the day to think about how much I miss everyone; and at night, I'm so exhausted I fall right to sleep.

I just took my trip to Kathmandu, Nepal for my visa. Even the Indian customs official thought I was Indian! Hahaha! In Kathmandu, the shopkeepers kept thinking I was Nepali or Indian, simply because I was wearing Indian clothes. My friend back at the school said I might could pass for a Punjabi, because they're light-skinned and tall. Anyway, I sure got a good laugh out of the whole thing.

While I was flying into and out of Kathmandu, I got to see Mount Everest! It was spectacularly beautiful, rising up out of the clouds that covered the ground from view. Amazing! I also got an interesting glimpse into the way Asians view our President. The taxi driver taking me to the airport in Kathmandu was a Communist, and he proceeded to give me an earful all the way from the hotel to the airport on how wonderful the Party was, etc. Then he said something that was ... interesting. He said, essentially, that Obama was wonderful, that Americans should be so glad he's there, that Bush was an awful man but that Obama would fix all the problems in America that Bush had caused. Let's just say I really had to bite my tongue at that one! (And try not to laugh out loud!) I tried to convince him that I really did NOT want to discuss politics, but he kept going. Boy was I ever glad to see the airport! (You know, handing him some money had a way of stopping his line of thinking and pointing it in another direction...!) The Indians also think Obama is a hero. I just pray for strength to shut my mouth!

Well, I have to go get ready for science class. We're studying invertebrates. It's such fun collecting specimens of such things as cockroaches (they're enormous here!), flies, spiders, etc. Even the girls are getting into it! 

No comments: