Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It's September already, and I've been here in India for 8 months now. In many ways it feels like I just got here, but I also feel like I've been here for years. 
Just recently we celebrated Teacher's Day. This was an opportunity for the students to express their love and appreciation to the teachers. The kids put on a fantastic program. One of the classes had composed some "hot news" about each of the teachers: they wanted to know some of our "secrets." One teacher was compared to an owl, (awake when the world is asleep, asleep when everyone is awake) another teacher was compared to an ant (being extremely busy). They said I had eyes as blue as the Indian Ocean! (I have no blue in my eyes.) When I asked some of them about it, they asked if I had ever seen the Indian Ocean. When they realized I had not, they explained to me that the Indian Ocean has no blue in it at all! :) The older kids made us a lovely breakfast and lunch. 
Right now, the Muslims are celebrating Ramadan. I am really enjoying learning about different cultures! Here in India, each tribe has its own customs and ways of doing things. On our campus, we have people from many different tribes, forming an interesting medley of mentalities. 
I am learning how to get around most places by myself, though I'm not ready to tackle the city of Calcutta alone yet! That's just not safe to do alone.
We're getting ready to have a Teacher's Retreat here next week. I'll have a roomful of visitors, I'm sure.
Thank you for your prayers, please keep praying!

No comments: